- Description: There are a few things going on in this picture. Towards the left is a compact
open cluster known as Messier 29. It was nicknamed "The Donkey" or "The Little Donkey" by the late Father
Lucian Kemble OFM of the Mt. St. Francis retreat near Cochrane AB and St. Michael's retreat near Lumsden SK.
Towards the right is NGC6888, also known as The Crescent Nebula. A further nickname is "Van Gogh's Ear"!
In the bottom left corner is a small red nebula know as SH2-106. Across the top of the picture is part of a
vast nebula complex around Gamma Cygnus (just off the top of the frame) known as IC1318. 4 hours of exposure
for this shot, including an hour of Hydrogen-alpha to bring out the nebula a bit better.
- Camera: SBIG STF-8300M at -15C
- Filters: Baader RGB and 7nm H-alpha filters.
- Scope: Redcat 51 refractor at f4.9
- Exposure: 6 x 10 minutes per channel.
- Location: SW of High River, Alberta
- Date: September 4th, 2021